About

In this moment of social and health emergency we have decided to change the way to welcome you. Check-in and access to the apartment will be done in self-check-in mode. This is to ensure your safety and make your stay more peaceful.

During the booking phase we will provide a code that will allow you to access both the building and the apartment independently.

Information about the apartment, the city, the places to visit, the restaurants to choose will be provided through the use of the intelligent Echo Dot speaker and some videos created ad hoc. However, we will always be available by phone for further information and to respond to your requests.

The breakfast service, one of the strong points of our B&B, has been suspended at the moment. However, breakfast will be available at the bar next to the B&B. This is to avoid gathering occasions, guarantee the safety distance, but above all to allow our guests to enjoy the holiday.

For the cleaning of our structure, in this difficult moment, we rely on a specialized company. At the end of each stay (departure) the guest rooms are sanitized with hydrogen peroxide sanitizing product. The common areas of the structure are also sanitized daily.

The Teatro Massimo

In 1864, the mayor of Palermo Antonio Starabba, Marquis of Rudinì, banned an international competition for the creation of a lyrical theater in the center of the city. The winner was the architect Giovan Battista Filippo Basile. The place chosen to build the theater involved the demolition of churches and monasteries, some of which date back to 1300, including the Church and the Monastery of the Sigmata of St. Francis, from which today it draws its name to the square where B&B Dietro il Teatro is located.

The new theater should have been so beautiful and great to rival the major European theaters and, therefore, able to give resonance and prestige to the city. The first stone was laid in 1875, but the work was officially started in 1890, when Giovan Battista Filippo Basile died, so the direction of the work was entrusted to his son Ernesto. The inauguration took place on 16 May 1897 with a work by Giuseppe Verdi, the Falstaff. The theater, originally called “Vittorio Emanuele” was called “Massimo” because of its capacity that made it the third largest theater in Europe.

I Quattro Canti

The historic center of the city is divided by the intersection of the two main streets of Palermo, via Maqueda and Corso Vittorio Emanuele. At the center of this crossroad, thereis an octagonal square. On the four corners or chants the convex façades of four sixteenth-century palaces rise. In the lower part of the fountains surmounted by the statues of the four seasons, in the niches of the upper orders there are the statues of four Spanish kings and, at the highest level, those of the protectors of Palermo: the Saints Cristina, Ninfa, Oliva and Agata, then replaced by Santa Rosalia.

The intersection delimits the four cantons or neighborhoods where, at one time, Palermo was subdivided: Albergheria, Capo, La Loggia, Kalsa each one entrusted to a saint.

The B&B Dietro il Teatro is located few steps away from Via Maqueda, which has become a pedestrian area and bicycle path to the Four Canti and the Cathedral in 2016.

The Capo Market

In the four historic districts of the city divided by Quattro Canti, the four oldest historical markets in the city are still present: Ballarò, Capo, Vucciria and Kalsa. Ballarò is the oldest in the markets of Palermo and extends from Casa Professa square to the Tukory course bastions, towards Porta Sant’Agata. Vucciria stretches between Via Roma, Cala and Cassaro. The proximity to the city port stimulated the settlement of Genoese, Pyrénées and Venetian merchants and traders since the 12th century. The term comes from the French “boucherie” (“butcher” in English) from here “Bucceria”. The market was originally intended for meat sales. Subsequently it became a fish, fruit and vegetables market. Today is a place where young people use to hang out and spend their nights, and has seen the transformation of shops into taverns, bars and restaurants.

The Capo Market, next to the B&B Dietro il Teatro, is located in the heart of the homonymous neighborhood between Porta Carini, the Palace of Justice, Via Sant’Agostino and the Via Cappuccinelle. It is an important point of food retailing and keeps popular elements of the typical Mediterranean market: the colors, the yell of the sellers, the stalls make it an essential element of the city. It is an active market every day, animated and folkloric.

St. Augustine’s Market

It is distinguished from the Capo market because it sells mainly clothes, lingerie and shoes, all of good quality at a reasonable price, where almost all items and merchandise are purchased only after the agreement on the price has been reached, questioned and downplayed, ends with the content of sellers and buyers. As far as the history of the two main streets of the market is concerned, it is interesting to know that the Via Bandiera, populated between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries by confectionery, pastry shop, shoemakers and fabric merchants, and once called “Pizzuto Road”. He extracted his present name from the presence of an iron flag supported by a white marble whistle, set about ten meters from the ground to the wall of the palace that makes the corner between the aforementioned road and Patania Street. The S. Agostino Street, joined by the Bandiera Road before the construction of the “New Road” or via Maqueda, is called the great highway of the Cape and also St. Mark’s Road. Instead, it takes its place name from the church of S. Agostino, Ingeves in 1275 and according to Father Tommaso Errero in 1244, with its side on the same via S.Agostino and with its main prospect on the Via Maestri d’acqua, on which opens with a splendid portal surmounted by a beautiful rosette, whose sides are carved the heraldic symbols of the powerful families of the Sclafani and the Chiaramonte, which embellished the aforesaid prospect. The church, rich in many stuccos executed by Giacomo Serpotta, is also called the church of S. Rita for the homonymous saint protector of the infirm and the partials.